Sunday 25 July 2010

Welcome and weekend eats



Welcome to our blog. Shmatt equals Siobhan and Matt together. This is a blog to document the places we go, the food we make and the things we like.

This Saturday, I decided to try out a new recipe, and make my own healthy muesli bar. The recipe is from Oh She Glows. However, my version didn't really work out. I think maybe our dates were too small because they fell apart.

But here's how to make it anyway.

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup of almonds
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
  • 9 medjool dates, pitted
  • 4-5 dried apricots, chopped
  • 2 tbsp cacao nibs
  • 1/2 tbsp pepita seeds (pumpkin seeds)
  • Pinch or two of sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp almond butter (optional)
We didn't have any medjool dates so I tried to use normal dates, and a bit more apricots. However the mixture still came out too crumbly. I got creative and threw in some almond butter, but the cookies didn't really 'bind'. They still taste pretty good though, and I'm looking forward to eating them after the next work out.

Next time, I'll get bigger dates and I may grind everything up.




Grind up the dates and the almonds in a processor.



Add a tablespoon of Chia seeds. I'm a recent convert to chia seeds and have been trying to sneak them into Matt's meals, because they are so good for vegetarians. Also throw in some dried apricots.



And all the other ingredients and mix. Form into mini cookies or balls. Makes 8 mini cookies.




I failed to photograph the finished product because they didn't form balls and my hands were covered in goo, so you'll have to check out the ones at Angela's blog.

Then we went down to check out a local cafe that has just opened in our area. Such good food!

Pizza!

This was cherry tomatoes, rocket lettuce, parmesan and mozzarella.

Matt ordered the panini:



This was super tasty. Check out the cheese.

And the coffee was to die for. I had the espresso machiato.


Delicious. We will return. After lunch I bought 2 new dresses and a lovely silk top and shorts. But those photos are going to have to wait until another post.


No comments:

Post a Comment