Monday 2 August 2010

The London free love challenge: Day one



I have decided on a new challenge: To do something new in London every day for 30 days. Also, I want it to be free. In a way, I started this by mistake and have decided to roll with it.


I work very close to the British Library so actually managed to squeeze this in on my lunch-break. However, I was so absorbed by some of the maps, that I didn't actually get to see the full exhibition in my lunch hour. It's well-worth returning to on another lunch break to see the other half.

Some of the guys in my office came along, and we decided it would be funny to buy a map in the shop, put Where's Waldo? on one of the maps and hang it in the exhibition to see if anyone notices. 

Jokes aside, maps are utterly captivating. In those early days of map-making there was no satellite or GPS systems, and maps were not objective. Most maps were made to make a comment about a country's wealth or status, or to boast of a king's reign, or ownership of space. Artists were commissioned by land-owners to reflect their wealth in these creations, cartographers were still experimenting with ways to represent the form of the world, kings used maps to intimidate neighbours. 

If you are in London, try to get down to see this exhibition before it closes on 19 September. 
Open seven days a week : admission free

Highlights:

© British Library Board


No comments:

Post a Comment