Tuesday 3 August 2010

London free love Day 2: Platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross


I realised the folly of this challenge this morning, as I work full-time and have pretty busy evenings. How am I going to find the time in working hours? Anyway, just as I left for work this morning, Matt suggested I go to Kings Cross in my lunch break to see the platform 9 3/4 during my lunch break, the fictional railway platform that Harry Potter boarded the Hogwarts Express train to Hogwarts. Suspecting a prank, I got into work and did a quick Google search and Wikipedia check. Sure enough, there is a baggage trolley stuck halfway into a wall below a sign that reads "Platform 9¾"


Disaster. I went to Kings Cross at lunch but there is a lot of construction work going on, most of the walls were covered in scaffolding and boarded up. I couldn't find the infamous tourist spot, despite all the evidence on the Internet that it exists. I should be in this photo!



But all is not lost, I shall have to revisit this site and work up the courage to ask at the Information Desk. I know how Harry Potter must have felt when he was trying to find the platform. 


UPDATE: After a bit more investigation, i'm pretty confident I know where it is, and I was definitely near it, but I think it might be boarded up while the station is refurbished. I shall have to reinvestigate this, but may need something else to fulfill the challenge. Perhaps I can do two in one day tomorrow. Pressure! 




No comments:

Post a Comment